Flooding is occurring in parts of the province. For the most up-to-date information, visit your regional district website below:
- Town of Smithers:
- Evacuation alert for low lying areas around the Bulkley Riverincluding Riverside Drive, Riverside Park Campground and Smithers Fall Fair Grounds
- Flood Watch issued June 4, 2022 for:
- Skeena River, including the Bulkley River and surrounding tributaries around Telkwa, Smithers, Hazelton, Kispiox and Terrace
- Flood Watch issued June 3, 2022 for:
- East Okanagan, including Mission Creek and its tributaries east of Vernon, Kelowna, Penticton and surrounding areas
- West Kettle River and surrounding tributaries
- Spius Creek and Lower Nicola River downstream of Spius Creek
- Flood Watch issued June 2, 2022 for:
- Bulkley River and surrounding tributaries around Telkwa and Smithers
More information and an interactive map are available from the River Forecast Centre.
Prepare for floods
Floodwaters move quickly, so make a housekeeping plan, pack your emergency kit, and communicate with your neighbors. Find out about your local emergency response plan.
For more information on how to prepare, visit PreparedBC.
Definitions you need to know
- Evacuation order: You are in danger. Leave the area immediately. Local police or RCMP enforce evacuation orders.
- Evacuation Alert: Be prepared to leave on short notice. If you leave before or during this alert, it is called a voluntary evacuation.
- Cancellation of the evacuation: Everything is currently safe and you can go home. Stay tuned for other possible alerts or evacuation orders.
- Flood Warning: River levels have exceeded capacity or will soon exceed capacity, and flooding of the area adjacent to affected rivers will result.
- Flood Watch: River levels are rising and will approach or may exceed capacity. Flooding of areas adjacent to affected rivers may occur.
- High Flow Advisory: River levels are rising or expected to rise rapidly, but no major flooding is expected. Minor flooding in low areas is possible.