Scottish mother claims information about her son’s death was withheld by the Navy

The mother of a sailor who strangely disappeared in Dubai a decade ago has claimed navy chiefs have not fully told the truth about his death.

Sheena MacColl, 58, said she knew her son, Timmy, who was 27 when he disappeared in 2012, is dead, but key witnesses have not told her the full story.

The lead seaman is said to have been enjoying leave in the popular Middle Eastern city when navy bosses claimed he accidentally fell in the water and drowned, the Record reported.

But Sheena said: ‘I believe there are people who knew Timmy who are withholding information.

“I don’t think he fell in the water… he would have been found by now.

“Someone knows something but hasn’t come forward for some reason.

“Timmy wouldn’t have put me through this if he was still alive. I’m appealing to anyone with information to come forward.

Her son Timmy, from Killin in Stirlingshire, was last seen entering a taxi outside the Rock Bottom Cafe at 01.40am on May 27, 2012 in Dubai.

Get all the latest news and headlines from Edinburgh, Fife and Lothians straight to your inbox twice a day by signing up to our free newsletter.

From breaking news to breaking news on Scotland’s coronavirus crisis, we’ve got you covered.

The morning newsletter arrives before 9 a.m. daily and the evening newsletter, hand-curated by the team, is sent out at 6:30 p.m., giving you insight into the most important stories of the day.

To sign up, just enter your email address in this link here and select Daily News.

He was heading for his ship, HMS Westminster, which was moored near Port Rashid. But what happened to Timmy, father of three, remains a mystery.

A Bangladeshi taxi driver who had driven him from Rock Bottom was found by the police. He claimed to have stopped to get to his ship, but when he returned to his vehicle, Timmy was no longer there.

One theory is that Timmy returned to Dubai in another taxi.

Timothy MacColl with one of his children.
Timothy MacColl with one of his children.

Sheena added: ‘A search of the harbor by expert navy divers failed to find his body. I don’t think he fell in because most of the area was fenced off and there were safety nets around his ship. It is quite possible that he has returned to town.

“However, there is no evidence that he returned to Port Rashid. The only evidence is the taxi driver.”

Sheena, a saleswoman, said Dubai police and the Royal Navy could have done more to find her son. Four days after his disappearance, his ship set sail for a new mission.

The following month, Sheena, her brother Colin, and Timmy’s wife, Rachael, traveled to Dubai to meet with police and navy officials. But they left knowing a little more than when they arrived.

Sheena will mark the 10th anniversary by lighting a candle in her garden.

In April 2014, the sailor was officially declared dead by the Royal Navy.

A Royal Navy spokesman said: ‘There has been a full investigation… as well as a number of appeals. Unfortunately, no new evidence has come to light. We understand how distressing this must be for Timothy’s family and friends. »

About John A. Provost

Check Also

MATCH UPDATE: Tuesday match night information – News

It’s more action from the Papa Johns Trophy group game at Brunton Park on …